The National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) has designated May “Elder Law Month.” NAELA members are attorneys who are experienced and trained in working with the legal problems of aging Americans and individuals of all ages with disabilities. Given the growing aging population in the United States, elder law awareness is more important than ever.
Elder Law attorneys deal with such matters as
- Health and personal care planning, including Living Wills and Powers of Attorney; lifetime planning.
- Financial planning; housing opportunities and financing; income, estate, and gift tax matters.
- Asset protection; planning for a well spouse when the other spouse requires long term care; public benefits such as Medicaid and insurance; Veterans’ benefits.
- Guardianship and guardianship avoidance.
- Resident rights in long term care facilities; nursing home claims.
Given the broad scope of issues, Elder Law attorneys may specialize in specific subsets of Elder Law categories. Elder law attorneys are important resources for clients because they understand that clients’ needs may extend beyond basic legal services and they stay informed about and connected to the local networks of professionals who serve the elder population.
Elder Law Events in May
NAELA attorneys will be hosting a variety of Elder Law events throughout New Jersey in May. Come hear Elder Law Attorney, and NAELA member, Elga A Goodman, speak about Life Planning: Legal Tools to Enhance your Golden Years at the Washington Township Library on Monday, May 19th, at 12 p.m. and at the Summit Public Library on Tuesday, May 20th, at 7:30 p.m. Please RSVP at 973-841-5111.
Posted in: Elder Law